Musée national de la Marine

Musée national de la Marine

The museum’s history all begins with  a collection of models of ships and naval installations that were offered to Louis XV by Henri-Louis Duhamel du Monceau. With the offering, he made the request that the collections be displayed at the Louvre and be made available for students of the Naval engineers  school to view. The collection was put on display in 1752 at the Louvre, next to the Academy of Sciences section, and was called “Salle de Marine” (Navy room).

Unfortunately, during the French Revolution the Navy Room was closed and the models were added to the King’s personal collection, with some also being given to the Ministry of Navy and other executors. In 1810, Napoleon ordered a gallery of 19 models be put on display at Grand Trianon in order to document the types of warships in usage in the French Navy during that time. In 1827 with the Bourbon Restoration, Charles X ordered the Naval museum be reopened at the Louvre. The collection became rather large, with new models being added and commissioned throughout the years and through different conservators of the Naval museum. Finally in 1920 the administration of the collection was passed on to the French Navy made the Naval museum a part of the Palais de Chaillot.

Here’s some examples of models you can expect to see when touring the Musée national de la Marine:

Musée national de la Marine 2 Musée national de la Marine 3 Musée national de la Marine 4 Musée national de la Marine 5 Musée national de la Marine 6 Musée national de la Marine 7